Aside from being sweet and delicious, almost every single one of your favorite berries is also ridiculously good for you. Whether they’re jam-packed into your daily smoothie or eaten on the side of your favorite lunch items, berries provide some much-needed nourishment while also benefiting your health.
Fruits like strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries are full of antioxidants. That flashy word may be thrown around a lot in articles and blogs on nutrition, but it doesn’t make it any less important.
Along with helping your body fight off illness and disease, antioxidants are also some pretty great beauty boosters. They can protect the skin from free radicals and keep your complexion looking young and healthy for years to come.
Berries are also an excellent source of fiber and vitamin C, two essential components of a nutritious, well-rounded diet. While berries are hero ingredients in your favorite pie and desserts, they are just as delicious when used in healthier alternatives.
Their high water content keeps you feeling full and satisfied, while also keeping the amount of calories you consume to a minimum. Berries have been known to be amazing weight-loss aids, cholesterol regulators, and blood pressure managers. If you’re looking for foods that are just as tasty as they are healthy, berries are definitely the way to go.
A Mixed Berry Smoothie Bowl features three different types of berries, as well as bananas, chia seeds, and the ever popular toasted coconut. It has enough nutrients to keep you sharp, agile, and ready to face your day head-on.
As an extra bonus, it only takes about five or so minutes to make and super easy, which means that it’s the perfect solution for those who aren’t very skilled in the culinary arts!
Mixed Berry Smoothie Bowl
For The Smoothie
- 1 Cup plain, nonfat yogurt
- ¼ Cup of almond milk
- ½ Banana, peeled and frozen
- ½ Cup of frozen raspberries
- ½ Cup of frozen strawberries
- ½ Cup of frozen blueberries
For The Bowl
- ½ Fresh banana
- ¼ Cup of fresh raspberries
- ¼ Cup of fresh strawberries, sliced
- ¼ Cup of fresh blueberries
- 2 ½ Tablespoons of chia seeds
- 2 ½ Teaspoons of toasted coconut
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Spread coconut flakes in a thin layer on a baking sheet, place in oven while the oven is still preheating. Leave in oven for 5-10 minutes, stirring every few minutes to ensure even coloring.
- Combine all of the frozen fruit, yogurt, and almond milk in a blender and blend until smooth, but thick.
- Pour blended smoothie into two bowls, then top with your remaining fresh fruit, toasted coconut, and chia seeds in the order of your choosing.