Go Crazy for Coconuts
For a hint of the tropics, (and a powerful punch of vitamins and minerals), coconut is a great go-to food to incorporate into your diet. Coupled with banana, a coconut smoothie like the one below offers a wealth of benefits -- tasting great is just an added bonus. Here are our top three reasons to drink up:
Its ingredients help with digestion
Coconuts help feed the good bacteria in the intestines, acting like a probiotic. As an immunity booster, it can serve as a preventative toward colds and the flu.
You may feel less inclined to reach for candy
Craving sweets is totally normal, but too much of the bad stuff can send your otherwise good nutritional intentions right down the drain. But the great news is that a sweet banana-coconut combination may just satisfy your craving now so you avoid that giant chocolate bar later.
Its ingredients may help reduce the risk of disease
If you’re looking to increase your potassium intake, a banana can do it for you. Thanks to its high levels of that precious little mineral, a banana-rich diet may help decrease your chances for cancer or asthma.
Ready to give this one a try? Here’s how to make it.
- ½ cup of fresh coconut shavings
- ¼ cup of almond milk
- ¼ cup of spring water
- 1 cup of ice
- 1 banana
- 1 teaspoon of agave (or organic honey)
- ½ teaspoon of cinnamon
- Combine coconut, almond milk, and spring water into a blender, mixing until smooth (approximately 5-7 seconds
- Add chopped banana, ice, cinnamon, and agave and blend until smooth
- Pour into a large glass and garnish with coconut shavings and cinnamon (optional)